Risk Reduction Program
The primary mission of the Risk Reduction Program Division is ensuring the safety of the nation’s railroads by evaluating safety risks and managing those risks in order to reduce the numbers and rates of accidents, incidents, injuries and fatalities.
Our mission is accomplished by:
- Identifying, collecting and analyzing precursor accident data to identify risks
- Developing voluntary pilot programs in cooperation with stakeholders that are designed to mitigate identified and potential risks
- Propagating and institutionalizing best practices and lessons learned to the entire rail industry
- Providing analytical support, data, and recommendations needed by stakeholders to develop strategies, plans and processes to improve safety and promote positive organizational change
- Developing and enforcing regulations promulgated in response to the Rail Safety Improvement Act of 2008