2014 FRA Rail Program Delivery Meeting
August 4-6, 2014
The Federal Railroad Administration hosts the first FRA Rail Program Delivery Meeting—a three-day conference for grantees, oversight contractors, and staff, focused on rail project implementation. The event also serves to launch the Monitoring and Technical Assistance Contractor (MTAC) Program—FRA’s oversight strategy for high-speed, intercity passenger rail, and freight rail projects.
Below is a list of presentations and handouts given at the event
Ten talks, 6 minutes each. Learn about FRA-funded projects in all regions of the country. Co-presented by Grantees and FRA Regional Managers / Project Managers (RM/PM). Concise, fast-paced, multiple-speaker format.
- 1 Northeast Trevor Gibson (FRA)
- 2 Northeast Corridor (NEC) Rebecca Reyes Alicea (FRA) and Susan Jurman (MTA Capital Construction)
- 3 Mid-Atlantic Adam Denton (FRA) and Al Fazio (Amtrak)
- 4 Southeast Randy Brown (FRA) and Jason Orthner (NCDOT)
- 5 Midwest Wynne Davis (FRA) and Tim Hoeffner (Michigan DOT)
- 6 Central Catherine Dobbs (FRA) and Mark Werner (TxDOT)
- 7 Vehicles Sal DeAngelo (FRA)
- 8 Southwest Melissa DuMond (FRA) and Bruce Roberts (Caltrans)
- 9 Southwest California High-Speed Rail Authority (CHSRA) & Transbay Peter Osborn (FRA), Jeff Morales (CHSRA) and Mark Zabaneh (TJPA)
- 10 Northwest Leo Wetula (FRA)
Decision-making during Planning, PE, Environmental Review, FD
What are the most important decisions the Grantee makes?
What are the most important decisions FRA makes?
- FRA’s Planning Framework, Kyle Gradinger, Planner
- NEPA and the Planning Process, Michael Johnsen, Environmental Team Lead
- Decision-making During Project Development, Leonard Evans, Chief, Engineering
- California High Speed Rail, Jeff Morales, CEO, California High Speed Rail Authority
- Empire Corridor, Susan Andrews, Director of Rail Projects, NYSDOT
- Chicago – St. Louis Corridor, John Oimoen, Deputy Director, Railroads, IDOT
Management &Technical Capacity and Capability of the Extended Project Team
- People Make the Projects: What FRA looks for in project organizations and team qualifications, Vince Gallagher and John Lehman of Hill Intl.
- AMTRAK’s Organization for Engineering /Construction - Joseph Rago PE, Deputy Chief Engineer-Capital Construction, Amtrak
- Piedmont Improvement Program, Jason Orthner, Manager of Design and Construction, NCDOT
- Rochester Station, Marie Corrado, Director, Major Projects Office, NYSDOT
Generating Revenue: Stations, Real Estate, and Capturing Value
- Raleigh Union Station, Craig Newton of NCDOT and Roberta Fox, City of Raleigh
- Sacramento Railyards, Gregory Taylor AIA LEED AP, Project Mgr, City Sacramento
- TOD and Generating Revenue, Transbay Transit Center District – Scott Boule, Legislative Affairs and Community Outreach Manager, TJPA
- International Station Experience, Paul Reynolds, Atkins Global
- Amtrak Real Estate Development Facilities Planning Group, Anish Kumar, Architect, Planner, Sr. Director Facilities Planning, AMTRAK
Railroad Planning & Operations
- Railroad Planning Basics, Richard Cogswell, Sr. Engineer, FRA
- AMTRAK’s Perspective, Drew Galloway, Chief of Corridor Development and Planning, Sr. Operations Planner, AMTRAK
- What intercity passenger rail project sponsors should know about railroad operations, DJ Mitchell II, Asst. Vice President, Passenger Operations, BNSF
- FRA Safety Interface, Dan Knote, Staff Director, Passenger Rail Division, Office of Railroad Safety, FRA
Cost, Schedule, Risk Management Through the Project Life
- Cost Management, Reporting, Ronald Anderson, VP, Kal Krishnan Consulting Svc.
- Scheduling 101, Thomas E. Mitchell, PE, Dir. National Construction Consulting Svcs, Urban Engineers
- How we brought our project in on budget and on schedule, Patricia Quinn, Executive Director, Northern New England Passenger Rail Authority
- Risk Assessment – Top-down, Bottom-up? Understanding the basics, Will Willson, Director Risk Management, Gardiner & Theobald
- Risk Assessment for Transbay, Mark Zabaneh, Sr. Program Mgr, TJPA