Contextual Factors and Strategic Planning
This subprogram element focuses on the selection of projects, evaluation of program utility and effectiveness and product dissemination. Because human factors related accidents and injuries account for such a large proportion of overall incidents, it is imperative that periodic evaluations be conducted to assess program strengths and weaknesses and provide direction for future improvement. Both internal and external factors that affect or influence the overall success of the Human Factors Program are included in that assessment. This subprogram:
- assesses the need for Human Factors research in various railroad operations;
- develops specific performance goals and objectives based on the overall needs of the industry;
- develops a plan for implementing recommended improvements that will help achieve these program goals and objectives;
- develops performance indicators to be used in assessing the outcomes of the Human Factors program; and
- improves the overall effectiveness of the Human Factors Program.