National Grade Crossing Inventory Reporting Regulations
On January 6, 2015, FRA published a Final Rule that requires railroads to submit information to the FRA for inclusion in the Crossing Inventory about crossings through which they operate.
The purpose of the U.S. DOT National Highway-Rail Crossing Inventory Program is to provide a uniform national inventory database that can be used to gather data for use in improving crossing safety across the nation.
The information can be used for planning and implementation of crossing improvement programs by public and private agencies responsible for highway-rail crossing safety.
FRA also revised the Crossing Inventory Form and the FRA Guide for Preparing U.S. DOT Crossing Inventory Forms.
Railroad/Grade Crossing Materials
- U.S. DoT Crossing Inventory Form
- Guide for Preparing U.S. DOT Crossing Inventory Forms
- Procedure for Updating DOT Crossing Inventory Form
- How to Access Crossing Inventory Data
- Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD)
- State Contacts for Grade Crossing Inventory
- Railroad Contacts for Grade Crossing Inventory
- Model State Action Plan Resource Guide
- Grade Crossing Reports