Restoration and Enhancement Grants Program (FY 2017)
Overview: This program will fund operating assistance grants for initiating, restoring, or enhancing intercity rail passenger transportation. Applications for the Restoration and Enhancement grant program are due by 5 p.m. EDT on May 22, 2018. See the FY 2017 Notice of Funding Opportunity for more information.
This program was authorized in Section 11303 of the Fixing America’s Surface Transportation (FAST) Act, Pub. L. No. 114-94 (2015); 49 U.S.C. § 24408. Funding under this program was made available by the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2017, Public Law No. 115-31, Division K, Title I and the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2018, Public Law 115-141, Division L, Title I.
Projects eligible for funding under this NOFO must be for operating assistance to initiate, restore, or enhance intercity rail passenger transportation. Examples of such expenses may include: staffing costs for train engineers, conductors, on-board service crew; diesel fuel or electricity costs associated with train propulsion power; station costs such as ticket sales, customer information and train dispatching services, station building utility and maintenance costs; lease payments on rolling stock; routine planned maintenance costs of equipment and train cleaning; host railroad costs; train yard operation costs; general and administrative costs; and management, marketing, sales and reservations costs.
- (1) A State (including the District of Columbia);
- (2) A group of States;
- (3) An Interstate Compact;
- (4) A public agency or publicly chartered authority established by one or more States;
- (5) A political subdivision of a State;
- (6) Amtrak or another Rail Carrier that provides Intercity Rail Passenger Transportation;
- (7) Any Rail Carrier in partnership with at least one of the entities described in (1) through (5); and
- (8) Any combination of the entities described in (1) through (7).