Federal-State Partnership for State of Good Repair Grant Program (FY 2017 and 2018)
Overview: This program provides $272,250,000 for capital projects within the United States to repair, replace, or rehabilitate qualified railroad assets to reduce the state of good repair backlog and improve intercity passenger rail performance. See the FY 2017 and 2018 Notice of Funding Opportunity for more information.
This program was authorized in Sections 11103 and 11302 of the Passenger Rail Reform and Investment Act of 2015 (Title XI of the Fixing America’s Surface Transportation (FAST) Act, Pub. L. No. 114-94 (2015)); 49 U.S.C. § 24911. Funding under this program was made available by the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2017, Public Law No. 115-31, Division K, Title I and the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2018, Public Law No.115-141, Division L, Title I.
Eligible projects repair, replace, or rehabilitate qualified railroad assets and improve intercity passenger rail performance. Eligible capital projects include those that:
- Replace existing assets in-kind;
- Replace existing assets with assets that increase capacity or provide a higher level of service;
- Ensure that service can be maintained while existing assets are brought to a state of good repair; and
- Bring existing assets to a state of good repair.
- A State (including the District of Columbia)
- A group of States
- An Interstate Compact
- A public agency or publicly chartered authority established by one or more States
- A political subdivision of a State
- Amtrak, acting on its own behalf or under a cooperative agreement with one or more States
- Any combination of the entities described above