Consolidated Rail Infrastructure and Safety Improvements Program (FY 2018)
Overview: This program will fund projects that improve the safety, efficiency, and reliability of passenger and freight rail. See the FY 2018 Notice of Funding Opportunity for more information.
This program was authorized in Section 11301 of the Fixing America’s Surface Transportation (FAST) Act, Pub. L. 114-94 (2015); 49 U.S.C. § 24407. Funding under this program was made available by the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2018, Division L, Title I, Public Law 115-141.
Projects eligible for funding under this grant program include, but are not limited to:
- Deployment of non-PTC railroad safety technology and rail integrity inspection systems*
- Capital projects
- Highway-rail grade crossing improvement projects
- Rail line relocation and improvement projects
- Regional rail and corridor service development plans and environmental analyses
- Any project necessary to enhance multimodal connections or facilitate service integration between rail service and other modes
- The development and implementation of a safety program or institute
- Any research to advance any particular aspect of rail-related capital, operations, or safety improvements
* Positive Train Control projects for intercity passenger and freight rail are eligible under other project eligibility categories.
(2) Group of States;
(3) Interstate Compact;
(4) Public agency or publicly chartered authority established by one or more States;
(5) Political subdivision of a State;
(6) Amtrak or another rail carrier that provides intercity rail passenger transportation;
(7) Class II railroad or Class III railroad;
(8) Any rail carrier or rail equipment manufacturer in partnership with at least one of the entities described in (1) through (5);
(9) Transportation Research Board together with any entity with which it contracts in the development of rail-related research, including cooperative research programs;
(10) University transportation center engaged in rail-related research; or
(11) Non-profit labor organization representing a class or craft of employees of rail carriers or rail carrier contractors.