FRA Recommended Trainings & Environmental Resources
This page contains links to recorded webinars, trainings, and other resources that will be of assistance in preparing National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) documents for rail projects.
FRA Video Trainings
For a comprehensive list of all of the Environmental Videos produced by FRA, please visit the FRA Training & Guidance Videos page.
|For a comprehensive list of all of the Environmental Webinars hosted by FRA, please visit the FRA Training & Guidance Webinars page.|
FRA Rail Program Delivery Resources
These resources below include instructional and educational videos, presentations from past Rail Program Delivery Conferences. The links provide oversight guidance (Monitoring Procedures), FRA reports and guidance documents, and related website links. Click on the Rail Network Development topics below to explore the content:
Environmental Internal & External Links
The resources linked below are often utilized by environmental staff and are referenced often on FRA's environmental webpages. These resource links will be updated periodically.
FRA Internal Environmental Weblinks
- FRA’s Procedures for Considering Environmental Impacts (64 Federal Register [FR] 28545, May 26, 1999)
- (23 CFR Parts 771 and 774) Environmental Impact and Related Procedures, and, Parks, Recreation Areas, Wildlife and Waterfowl Refuges, and Historic Sites (Section 4(f)) effective on November 28, 2018
- Section 106 Program Comment for Rail Rights-of-Way and exempted activities list
- Human & Natural Environment
- Environmental Resource Methodologies for Evaluations Conducted under the National Environmental Policy Act (2017)
- National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) of 1969
- Regulations for Implementing the Procedural Provisions of NEPA (40 CFR Parts 1500–1508)
- Council on Environmental Quality (CEQ) NEPA Guidance
- CEQ 40 Questions
- Fixing America’s Surface Transportation Act (FAST Act) (P.L. 114-94)
- Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act (MAP-21 ) (P.L. 112-141 )
- One Federal Decision Executive Order (E.O.) 13807, Establishing Discipline and Accountability in the Environmental Review and Permitting Process for Infrastructure Projects, issued on August 15, 2017
- One Federal Decision Memorandum of Understanding issued on April 9, 2018
- Permitting Dashboard for Federal Infrastructure Projects
- The Center for Environmental Excellence by AASHTO offers a number of products and programs for technical assistance, training, information exchange, partnership-building opportunities, and quick-and-easy access to environmental tools. Center webinars are available online and cover key topical areas of interest, including Climate Change, NEPA, Stormwater, and more.
- Amtrak established the Great American Stations Project in 2006 to educate communities on the benefits of redeveloping train stations, offer tools to community leaders to preserve their stations, and provide the appropriate Amtrak resources.
- FHWA’s environmental toolkit has environmental topics and tutorials relating to NEPA and human and natural environmental impacts from transportation projects.
- Environmental Justice (EJ) EO 12898 FRA and Project Sponsors rely on the US DOT Environmental Justice Website that includes information on environmental justice history, policy documents, FAQ's, case studies, training, and updated resources for consideration of EJ populations during project development.
- Advisory Council on Historic Preservation (ACHP) ensures federal agencies including FRA implement their work in harmony with the National Historic Preservation Act (Section 106).
- The Red Book is used as “how to” for synchronizing NEPA reviews for transportation and infrastructure projects with federal regulatory agencies. This document was developed by FRA, FTA, FHWA the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
The FAST Act: Accelerating Project Delivery at the US Department of Transportation. Links and departmental guidance on accelerating project delivery.
Updated May 2019