Restoration and Enhancement Grants Program (FY 2018–2019)
Overview: This program will fund operating assistance grants for initiating, restoring, or enhancing intercity rail passenger transportation. Applications for funding under this solicitation are due no later than 5:00 p.m. EDT January 6, 2020. See the FY 2018-2019 Notice of Funding Opportunity for more information.
This program was authorized in Section 11303 of the Fixing America’s Surface Transportation (FAST) Act, Pub. L. No. 114-94 (2015); 49 U.S.C. § 22908. Funding under this program was made available by the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2018, Div. L, Tit. I, Public Law 115-141 (2018 Appropriation), the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2019, Div. G, Tit. I, Public Law 116-6 (2019 Appropriation), and the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2017, Div. K, Tit. I, Public Law 115-31 (2017 Appropriation).
Projects eligible for funding under this grant program include:
- Additional frequency of current service
- Offering new on-board services
- Establishing new service
- Extension of current service
- Restoration of previously operated service
Expenses eligible for funding under this NOFO must be for operating assistance to initiate, restore, or enhance intercity rail passenger transportation. Examples of such expenses may include: staffing costs for train engineers, conductors, on-board service crew; diesel fuel or electricity costs associated with train propulsion power; station costs such as ticket sales, customer information and train dispatching services, station building utility and maintenance costs; lease payments on rolling stock; routine planned maintenance costs of equipment and train cleaning; host railroad costs; train yard operation costs; general and administrative costs; and management, marketing, sales, and reservations costs.
(1) A State (including the District of Columbia);
(2) A group of States;
(3) An Interstate Compact;
(4) A public agency or publicly chartered authority established by one or more States;
(5) A political subdivision of a State;
(6) Amtrak or another Rail Carrier that provides Intercity Rail Passenger Transportation;
(7) Any Rail Carrier in partnership with at least one of the entities described in (1) through (5); and
(8) Any combination of the entities described in (1) through (7).