2020 FRA Railroad Trespass Prevention and Grade Crossing Technology Summits
Engaging Stakeholders and Communities Across the Nation
California | Florida | Texas | Illinois
Between 2012 and 2017, the number of railroad trespassing pedestrian fatalities increased 18 percent. Nearly 95 percent of all rail-related fatalities in the United States result from illegal trespassing or highway-grade crossing collisions. The vast majority of these tragedies are preventable.
The Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) invites you to attend one of six free, two-day Railroad Trespass Prevention and Grade Crossing Technology Summits planned across the United States. The goals of these Summits are to raise awareness of the dangers and impacts of trespassing, to seek out low-cost solutions to local trespassing issues, and to discuss practicable ideas for technological improvements at grade crossings.
Each Summit will consist of two days of discussions:
Day 1, Railroad Trespass Prevention. FRA, railroad officials, and local representatives will share leading industry practices and explore new local strategies to reduce the number of right-of-way and trespasser incidents and fatalities. Participants also will discuss the impact that trespassing has on their communities, the roots of trespassing, and recommendations for future actions to reduce incidents.
- Day 2, Highway-Rail Grade Crossing Technology. As an outgrowth of the FRA’s October 30, 2018, Trespasser & Grade Crossing Fatality Prevention Summit, and November 19, 2019, Grade Crossing & Trespasser Fatality Prevention Symposium, FRA and railroad stakeholders will share results from Listening Sessions held in early 2019 that compiled innovative ideas for technological improvements at grade crossings. Presenters will explain how to implement such technologies, identify funding sources and opportunities, and provide a recommended framework for achieving desired outcomes.
Members of the public are encouraged to participate and offer input. Previous summits have been attended by state and local law enforcement and government officials and representatives of non-profit organizations, local universities, homeowners, associations, railroads, and other stakeholders.
You may register to attend one or two days at each summit. The registration tab is located at the top of the page.
- Houston–Galveston Area Council in Houston, TX – April 28th & 29th, 2020
- Congress Plaza Hotel in Chicago, IL – May 5th & 6th, 2020
- Tri-Rail Headquarters in Pompano Beach, FL – May 13th &14th, 2020
- Oakland, CA – June 3rd & 4th, 2020 Location TBA
- Stockton, CA – June 8th & 9th, 2020 Location TBA
- Inland Empire in Ontario, CA – TBA
Brought to you by the Federal Railroad Administration
1200 New Jersey Avenue SE
Washington, DC 20590